Archive for May, 2006
This past Shabbat we ate Seudat Shlishit at the home of a Rabbi in one of the popular American post-high school yeshivot.
Here are two things I heard from him at the meal:
- A student came up to him after hearing a lecture on the importance of the Land of Israel and said “Rebbe, how can people choose to live in galus (exile)? I mean, if someone asked themselves the question ‘should I live in Israel or in galus?’, how can you possibly choose not to be in Israel”
Nu? (I know that some people who read this are outside of the Holy Land. What are your excuses?)
- This rabbi has an expression that he uses when he hears someone say something bad about the Land of Israel or its inhabitants. Meraglish. As in, “comitting the sin of the meraglim (spies) by talking badly about the Land of Israel.
For example, if I hear you saying how you don’t like some thing in Israel and America is so much better, etc, etc, I would say to you: “Stop being so meraglish”.
I think that this one is definitely going to be included in my repertoire.
Israel Homeowner – looks like they have some good resources here (nicely laid out as well, which never hurts)
“Due to the cessation of payment of the security tax by the residents of Tel Zion, the yishuv is reorganizing a plan for the security of the yishuv. In the next few days, fewer guards will be present and hopefully security will not be compromised”
Check out this very good article on Lag B’Omer from Aish and the OU. It talks about Lag B’Omer, Bar Kochba, Rabbi Akiva and his students, Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai and Mashiach. Very worthwhile read.
One of the most popular topics in the media today relating to Israel is how the Palestinian Authority has no money and has not paid any of their workers in the past three months. And as the PA supports 35% of the families in Gaza, no paychecks is a pretty big deal. Who is to blame? The media is quick to point to:
- Israel: they have been withholding tax revenue – amounting to $50 million per month – since Hamas took control in February
- The United States: they have also not been sending any money to the PA, and have threatened trouble to any other country who would do so
- The European Union: they have also been withholding their payments to the PA (gasp) since Hamas came into control
The Gerrer Rebbe and Rabbi Aharon Leib Steinman will be flying to America to raise money and stengthen Torah learning. Their trip is being anticipated by tens of thousands and has been six months in the making. They will be flying El Al and have bought out the entire First Class section, and have made sure that there will only male stewards on the flight.
Dov Bear judges these Gedolei Yisrael negatively.
Orthomom judges them favorably.
I leave you to decide what is the more proper way to act (way to go Orthomom!)